The fourth annual Green Sports Alliance Summit took place in Santa Clara, CA July 21-23, 2014.
The Green Sports Alliance Summit serves as a platform for the sports community to unite around sustainability – bringing together more than 600 industry stakeholders to learn from 80+ leaders and engage their peers in meaningful dialogue around better environmental practices and proven solutions that help to advance the green sports movement. The 2014 program covered the day’s most critical topics in professional and collegiate sports greening via a dynamic mix of venue tours, workshops, case study presentations, leadership plenaries, keynotes and networking events. Held in the tech capital of the world amongst many iconic professional and collegiate sports teams, the 2014 Summit was the most exciting and influential gathering yet.
2014 Summit Highlight Video
Click here to view select photos in the 2014 Summit Image Gallery. Photos courtesy of Rielle Photography.
2014 Notable Moments
- Sports industry executives Chris Granger, President, Sacramento Kings; Dave Kaval, Club President, San Jose Earthquakes; and Chris McGowan, President & CEO, Portland Trail Blazers took the stage to discuss the future of the industry and how sustainability is coming into the spotlight.
- James Curleigh, President of Levi’s® Brand and Jay Coen Gilbert, Co-Founder of B-Lab and former Co-Founder and CEO of AND1 delivered rousing keynote addresses.
- San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York and San Francisco Bay Area Super Bowl 50 Host Committee CEO & President Keith Bruce joined the main stage to share sustainability plays that are helping Super Bowl 50 and the San Francisco Bay Area plan for a lasting legacy.
- On the day following the launch of the NHL Sustainability Report, the first document of its kind produced by a major sports league in North America, the Green Sports Alliance honored NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman with the 2014 Environmental Leadership Award. NHL Director of Sustainability Omar Mitchell accepted the award on the Commissioner’s behalf and joined a panel of industry leaders to share how the League has started on a journey toward greater sustainability.
- “The National Hockey League family truly is honored,” Commissioner Bettman said. “As intensely as our Clubs compete against one another on the ice, all are unified by the commitment to become a more sustainable business, to combat major environmental challenges and to preserve the roots of our game.”
- Green Sports Alliance held the second annual Women, Sports & the Environment Symposium, a participatory dialogue around the role women leaders can have in the development of a more sustainable future – using sports as an instrument of change to address community and environmental issues.
- Green Sports Alliance teamed with USGBC & San Jose Earthquakes for Green Apple Day of Service at the Aptitud Community Academy school garden.
Study: ‘Green’ fans willing to spend | 07-21-14
Bettman to be honored by Green Sports Alliance | 07-21-14
National Hockey League Pucks for Sustainability | 07-22-14
The Bay Area Green Sports Alliance Summit wraps up this week | 07-23-14
Day 1 from the Green Sports Alliance Summit: Green Technology Changing the Sports World Landscape | 07-23-14
The 2014 Green Sports Alliance Summit ended with collaboration in sustainability | 07-24-14
Sports can be the leader for sustainable initiative | 07-28-14
About the Green Sports Alliance
Social Enterprises Involvement
For the 4th consecutive year, our team was responsible for assisting the Green Sports Alliance in the following:
Branding & Marketing
Program Development & Management