The Oregon Higher Education Sustainability Conference (formerly the Oregon University System Sustainability Conference) concluded on February 1, 2013 at Portland State University’s Smith Memorial Student Union. Co-Hosted by Portland State University, Oregon State University and Oregon University System, OHESC is a platform to facilitate information sharing, networking, and collaboration related to innovative sustainability practice and research among Oregon’s higher education institutions. The conference featured two days of workshops, plenary discussions, and peer-to-peer learning for professionals, faculty, and students serving in a variety of roles around sustainability in Oregon’s campuses.
Given that the conference was being renamed, we were contracted to develop an event logo and identity. Care was taken to develop a distinct, modern brand highlighting OHESC’s identity rooted in the state of Oregon, higher education and collaborative endeavors.
From an event management perspective, below are a few of the many successful aspects of the conference:
- VENUE: Smith Memorial Student Union – The layout of space was good, accommodating exhibitors, student summit and all breakout sessions on one floor.
- AUDIO VISUAL: PSU AV – The equipment was excellent quality and offered at a very low cost, along with responsive and proactive technicians.
- CATERING: Aramark – The food quality was amazing, especially the custom lunch with the local vendors. We received many positive comments from organizers and attendees and the use of real dishes and glassware contributed to the value of a sustainable event.
- REGISTRATION: The registration process ran smoothly with help from volunteer and dedicated SE staff onsite and the check-in rate was extremely high at 88%
- “Staff were able to answer all questions and never seemed unable to find the information we were looking for.”
- “Professional and very supportive” “The event team was phenomenal!”
- “Friendly, efficient staff. Passionate attendees, great mission. Good food.”
View select photos from the 2013 event below. A full portfolio of images is available here, courtesy of Andrew Paul Photography.